If you're interested in computer science, then feel free to stop by my office (Tutt Science Center 206D) and chat about it.
If you're not interested in computer science, then feel free to stop by my office and we can chat about how to change that.
Current Class: Block 8: CP222 - Computer Science 2
Learn about fundamental data structures that allow fast and efficient access to stored data. Also, learn about key algorithms for searching, sorting, and other related tasks.
Complete daily programming assignments to test your knowledge of programming and data structure use.
Current Research Focus: Deep Reinforcement Learning
My main research interests are in machine learning and artificial intelligence. I'm especially interested in applied ML: using machine learning to solve practical problems. I enjoy learning about new problems in all subject areas and figuring out how to use machine learning to solve those problems.
Reinforcement learning allows AI agents to learn from an enviroment. The environment provides feedback to the agent and then the agent can alter its actions to maximize its total reward over a longer time frame.
The reinforcement learning agent to the right is playing Tetris. The environmental feedback structure is very simple for the game: the agent gets positive feedback for each step of the game while the agent has not yet lost. Of course, losing means the agent doesn't get a positive reward (and will never get any future positive rewards either!).
The only input the agent receives is the state of the game, which is a snapshot image of the game before making the next move. In this case, the brain of the agent is a deep artificial neural network that uses convolutional layers to recognize visual patterns in the game images.
One funny/interesting thing about the Tetris agent is that it isn't very good until it gets close to losing. If you look near the bottom of the video, you can see the agent made a lot of bad moves early on. It is easier to make good moves when closer to losing because the chain of actions leading to a loss is shorter than near the beginning of the game.
I'm currently experimenting with deeper ANN models to see if they can solve Tetris and play as well as (re: better than) the best humans and the best hand-coded bots.
If you're interested in artificial intelligence, data mining, or any other cool CS topic, then come talk to me about it!
- A Tool for Visualizing and Exploring Relationships among Cancer-Related Patents (Whitehead and Johnson, FLAIRS, 2017)
- Deep Reinforcement Learning in a 3-D Blockworld Environment (Barron, Whitehead, and Yeung, DeepRL, 2016)
- The Technological Core of Apple: Using Artificial Neural Networks and Econometrics to Value Apple's Patents (Johnson and Whitehead, R&D Management Conference "From Science to Society: Innovation and Value Creation", 2016)
- Visualizing Stacked Autoencoder Language Learning (Barron and Whitehead, ESANN, 2016)
- Practical Fault Tolerant 2D Cellular Automata (Janke and Whitehead, ECAL, 2015)
- Multi-K Machine Learning Ensembles (Whitehead and Yaeger, MAICS, 2012)
- Building a General Purpose Cross-Domain Sentiment Mining Model (Whitehead and Yaeger, CSIE, 2009)
- Sentiment Mining Using Ensemble Classification Models (Whitehead and Yaeger, SCSS, 2008)
- Case Provenance: The Value of Remembering Case Sources (Leake and Whitehead, ICCBR, 2007)
- Buddy Enhanced Return Routability for Authentication in Mobile IPv6 (Whitehead and Medidi, 2004 SPIE)
When I'm not stuck at my computer I can usually be found bicycling, trail running, hiking, playing tennis/racquetball/badminton, playing guitar rather poorly, reading, playing video games, baking bread, playing board games (Scrabble, GrabScrab, and chess in particular), writing poetry and fiction of questionable artistic value, watching sports, or generally annoying my family Madhuja, Mia, Theo, and Helo.
Office: Tutt Science Center (TSC) 206D
Office Phone (email is preferred): 719-389-6536
Mailing Address (email is preferred):
Mathematics & Computer Science
Tutt Science Center
14 E. Cache la Poudre St.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903